Do you know how advantageous the best omnidirectional microphones could be to record the proximity effect?
Being able to record from all directions is the most significant advantage to record realistic surroundings.
For example, you are recording people coming and going out of a cafe while you are recording a short video inside a cafe.
Whether you are a podcaster, a freelance journalist, an interviewer, or lecturer, omnidirectional microphones are your best buddies. While covering the best microphones for YouTubers, we came across a lot of different omnidirectional microphones. However, we realized that choosing the best omnidirectional microphone needs a lot of thought processes like-
- Making a list of requirements
- Considering the budget,
- Shortlisting at least 5-10 mics, etc.
- And then buying the best fit is kind of challenging.
But we are here to save you from the time consuming and confusing steps. This particular list of omnidirectional mics 2020 is for those who want to record ambiance and surrounding along with their voice. Let’s understand the basic need for omnidirectional mics.
Why do you need Omnidirectional microphones?
Omnidirectional microphones are best to capture and record voices from all directions. However, if you don’t want to record anything other than your own voice, omnidirectional microphones might not be ideal for you. These types of mics are best for conferences, podcasts, and interviews.
Some microphones also come with multiple patterns to switch between, including omnidirectional, bidirectional, and unidirectional.
5 Best Omnidirectional Microphones 2020
You will find tons of mics online. However, comparing them and picking one of them will take forever. Here we have handpicked the top 5 types of omnidirectional microphones based on the reviews, prices, and recommendations. Let’s dig into the more details-
This microphone is best suited for indoor studio recordings and, of course, for podcasts. Rode NT2-A comes with three polar patterns, Omnidirectional, Cardioid, or Figure 8.
- It has a large-diaphragm condenser for amazing audio quality.
- It has a 40hz and 80hz high pass filter.
- The microphone comes with -5 to -10db pad.
- Best suited for music videos as well.
The majority of podcasters consider Rode NT2-A as the best microphone for multipurpose use. However, the price of the microphone is a bit high. If you are looking for a microphone with the same audio quality as this one at a lesser price. Rode NT1 variants could be the best fit for you.
Rode offers this best wearable Lavalier microphone for a very reasonable price. You can also connect it to your smartphones or the vlogging camera. Rode is designed for broadcast scenarios. You can mount the mic on your clothes, and you are ready to go.
- It’s an omnidirectional Lavalier mic to capture good quality audio from your surroundings.
- It has a frequency range of 20Hz – 20kHz.
- With a maximum SPL of 110dB, it has a dynamic range of 83dB.
- Moreover, this microphone is compatible with iOS and some particular android devices.
The only thing is, you have to keep the microphone closer to the speaker’s mouth. It works perfectly with recording cameras and recorders like zoom H1.
BOYA BY-HM100 is the best-suited mic for interviewers, journalists, and for presentations. The handheld omnidirectional microphone comes with an XLR connector.
- The frequency range of the BOYA handheld mic is 70Hz to 15000Hz.
- As it also comes with an XLR connector, you don’t have to worry about the extra battery.
- Its extra-long handle makes it comfortable to hold for reporters or interviewers.
- It has an isolated capsule filter to reduce the handling noise.
You can plug it in with an XLR connector and use it directly.
This tiny thing is amazing for podcasters. Smiledrive microphone comes with a long USB cable, which you can plug into your computer and start recording. This microphone can capture the voices of a bunch of people sitting around it.
- Smiledrive USB microphone comes with a 360 omnidirectional microphone with the pickup range of almost 13 ft.
- The frequency response of this microphone is 50Hz to 16KHz.
- The sensitivity of a Smiledrive USB microphone is between -30dB+-3dB.
- It also has a sensitive touch button in the center to mute/unmute the microphone.
You can move around the room, talk from 13ft distance, and can also use it for conference calls.
This is not just an omnidirectional microphone; it’s a Bluetooth speaker. You can connect it to your smartphone and also use it for skype conference calls. It comes with a filter to cancel echo and unnecessary noise.
- It has a highly sensitive microphone, a control panel at the center, and omnidirectional speakers.
- A DSP chip inside the speakers cancels the echo and unwanted noise efficiently.
- It comes with a 1500mAh built-in battery.
- Moreover, you can use it as a regular Bluetooth speaker.
The central control panel can connect/disconnect the calls. The mute feature might not work for Skype calls but works for regular phone calls.
If you search for the best mics for podcasts, the internet will bombard you with thousands of options. Picking up the best among them would be a nightmare.
Considering your budget and needs, we have some of the top microphones for you that you must checkout in 2020. The price range will vary based on the features. However, the quality of the audio will be amazing.
So, are you planning to start a podcast? We hope you have found the perfect omnidirectional microphone for yourself. We would love to know about your podcast channel.
If you have any other recommendations for microphones, feel free to share your thoughts.
You might like to read the following articles: